The pathways to getting an assessment for autism vary greatly between areas so below you will find guidance on how the process may look when you start. Rest assured if you need advice the Autism Advice Team are here to talk it through with you.

Diagnosis through your medical provider (eg. GP):

  • Keep a file with information on why you think the person may have an Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC)
  • Include information on anything different you noticed during the pregnancy and childhood (if known) to the present day, including information from school, friends, college, family, work colleagues
  • Include any incidents that have happened which make you think ASC may be the diagnosis
  • Take some information on what Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome is. GP’s are General Practitioners, not specialists in all fields
  • Take all this information along to your G.P. and ask for a referral for assessment
  • If your G.P. disagrees or cannot refer you, we suggest you contact your local Patient Advisory Liaison Service (PALS) for details of how to get a second opinion

Private Diagnosis:

  • If your GP cannot refer, or your GP or the second opinion disagrees with you, you might want to think about a private assessment
  • Please be warned they can be very expensive, ranging from around £600 to over £1000 for both children and adults
  • If you obtain a private diagnosis please take all paperwork back to your G.P. to ask for further help from the NHS

If you would like to make contact with our Autism Advice Team please contact us.